Hello all! I am running a little late, so I might miss a song or two from the beginning of the episode. So I would really appreciate your help in finding the music from tonight’s So You Think You Can Dance Season 9 Meet the Top 20 episode. As you know, we’ve been listing all of the SYTYCD music ever since SYTYCD season 2. We hope to do the same this season.
In the comments below please list any and all songs that you happen to pick up, and any songs that you’d like me to specifically find and within twenty-four hours from the show I’ll update this post with the songs that I was able to catch. Please attempt to be as specific as possible as to where the music came from during the episode so I would know not to look for it and move on to the next piece of music.
The more songs that you guys are able to find, the more time I will have in finding the songs that you are unable to find.
Thank you so much for your help!
Wow I love these Meet the Top 20 Dancers routines… I really wished this was brought in for the earlier seasons, but you know what better late than never. First off… here is a poll, choose all the dances that you enjoyed from tonight’s show!
Beyond the break is more information about the dances from today’s show.
- Choreographer: Tyce Diorio
- Dancers: Will Thomas, George Lawrence, Alexa Anderson, Amber Jackson
- Music: Jessie J – We Found Love (BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge)
- Thoughts: Let me be honest, there have been so many contemporary dancers on this show in the past eight seasons that I can’t help but be a bit indifferent towards contemporary dancers over time, but dammit seeing this routine has made me cautiously optimistic that there is a lot of strong dancers out there yet to be found. Of the four dancers I think I am most excited by Will… since we haven’t heard or seen much if at all of him. I am worried that he is there as just elimination fodder, here’s hoping that he will be around for a few weeks because I do like him.
- Choreographer: Jason Gilkison
- Dancers: Nick Bloxsom-Carter, Witney Carson, Lindsay Arnold
- Music: Jennifer Lopez feat Pitbull – Dance Again
- Thoughts: Nick was not even mentioned in any of the episodes up to this point and I really hope it isn’t because they are setting him up as elimination fodder, especially with Mary Murphy critiquing Nick in the opening live episode. I really like him in what little I saw him and for some reason he reminds me of Benji Schwimmer… here’s hoping that Nick will pull off an amazing first routine when they are split up into couples. As for Witney and Lindsay… I stick with my earlier impressions, I like Witney a lot but I am not as convinced with Lindsay. The routine itself was hot hot hot, a little bit of Argentine Tango, Jive, Samba, ChaCha… it really catered to the Latin side of the spectrum.
BALLET/PAS DE TROIS
- Choreographer: Dwight Rhoden and Desmond Richardson
- Dancers: Daniel Baker, Chehon Wespi-Tschopp, Eliana Girard
- Music: Paul Mottram – Romantic Inclinations (song not available so here is the album Minimalism 2 from Paul Mottram for your enjoyment )
Steve Everitt – Like a Shot (song not available so here is an album that Steve Everitt contributed to: Eat Static – Back to Earth )
Gabriel Shadid & Tobias Marberger – Fury (this song is found in the album Epic Action and Adventure Vol 4 )
- Thoughts: I am SO SO SO glad that there are proper ballet dancers in this show. After seeing remnants of them in past seasons it’s about time the powers that be emphasized ballet as opposed to all the contemporary/lyrical dancers we see. I am sure Alex Wong is just bouncing with excitement at his friend making it to the Top 20. I really liked this routine, but then again I appreciate ballet more than most. I’ll admit that Eliana didn’t jump out at me like the two guys and I LOVED the guys, so I am really impressed that Eliana rose up to the ability of that of the guys this bodes well for her I think. As for the guys, what can I say? I love them and I really want to see them rise up to the bar set by… well… Alex Wong.
- Choreographer: Sonya Tayeh
- Dancers: Tiffany Maher, Audrey Case, and supposed to be Janelle Issis
- Music: Sail – Awolnation
- Thoughts: Janelle is ill??!?! Noo! I am so sad. In any case there is a distinct quality to Sonya’s work and a lot of her usual moves are there. But dammit, I really liked seeing Jazz piece, though it makes me wonder how it was suppose to work out with three dancers, especially with all the partnering going on between the two that were on stage. I have to rewatch this routine because initially I can’t really tell between the two jazz dancers on stage.
- Choreographer: Stacey Tookey
- Dancers: Matthew Kazmierczak, Dareian Kujawa, Janaya French, Amelia Lowe
- Music: Efterklang – Modern Drift
- Thoughts: Ok, who the heck is Janaya? I don’t remember her at all. Something tells me that she might be just elimination fodder for the first couple weeks. Ok first thing’s first… I could not keep my eyes off of Amelia, I really love the quality she brings on stage, and I think she has grown quite a bit in being able to embody someone else’s choreography. The guys I really love to watch as well and honestly I love them both equally at this point… I hate to say it, if Janaya does not catch my attention during the couple dances she’s most likely going to go home.
- Choreographer: Chris Scott
- Dancers: Cole Horibe, Cyrus Spencer, Brandon Mitchell
- Music: Nathan Lanier – Resolve (since there is no individual song link… here is the album link )
- Thoughts: When I first read the spoilers, this was the routine that I was looking forward to the most. If Cole and Cyrus is able to keep up with the choreography in the upcoming weeks then I feel that the guys are going the outlast the girls this season. Oh. Em. Gee. I am IN LOVE with this routine, I mean I was just in awe of this routine… I don’t know what else to say. Well, wait, yes I do… where the hell did Brandon come from? From all of the dancers that we know so little about other than Nick in ballroom… I really really really want Brandon to stick around, but like some of the other dancers I am afraid that Brandon is being set up as elimination fodder.
Zumba routine music: Electro Merengue – Crazy Love
CONTEMPORARY: TOP 10 GIRLS GROUP DANCE
- Choreographer: Travis Wall
- Music: Sennen – Where the Light Gets In
- Thoughts: The stand outs for me in this routine were Alexa and Amelia… oddly enough. What Travis routine do I not like? Granted this is not one of his better ones, but still strong nonetheless.
JAZZ: TOP 10 GUYS GROUP DANCE
- Choreographer: Sonya Tayeh
- Music: Steed Lord – Precognition (Steed Lord Machine Mix) (I’ve included the original as well )
- Thoughts: Ok I am LOVIN the guys this season. Standouts for me included Cole, Daniel, Nick, Chehon and Cyrus… the guys dancing not the clothes they were wearing. I really liked seeing that mano-a-mano partnering, but yeah… this is one dance I’m going to have to rewatch… several times over.
CONTEMPORARY: TOP 20 GROUP DANCE
- Choreographer: Mia Michaels
- Music: Kaskade – Eyes (Coachella Live 2012 Version) (Since I am unable to find the exact mix here is the original: )
- Thoughts: To echo the thoughts of the comment below: I’m so glad Mia is back. Amen to that.